- Born: 9 February 1932
- Place of birth: Dresden, Saxony
- Nationality: German
- Studied at: Dresden Academy of Fine Arts, Kunstakademie Düsseldorf
- Teachers: Ferdinand Macketanz, Karl Otto Götz
- Similar artists: Sigmar Polke, Georg Baselitz, Jörg Immendorff, Joseph Beuys, Eberhard Havekost
- Era: Contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: Abstract painting, photo-realistic painting
Are you interested in originals and editions of the painter and want to purchase art by Gerhard Richter? Under Gerhard Richter artworks and editions you will find a selection of facsimile editions, originals, photographs and prints by the artist.
Gerhard Richter editions and prints
In addition to two signed and numbered photography editions by Gerhard Richter, we can currently offer you a further exclusive selection of facsimile editions and prints for sale. These were made in cooperation with HENI Productions since 2014. The aim of the cooperation between Gerhard Richter and HENI Productions was to produce high-quality facsimiles of Gerhard Richter’s work. These works are generally not signed by hand and represent an independent part of Richter's work. They are listed on the Gerhard Richter website as prints and were created under the artist’s direction and with his permission. These limited and numbered editions each have a run of 500 copies and are labelled on the reverse with the details of the work, the copy number and the publisher’s stamp.
Photorealistic facsimile editions by Gerhard Richter
Gerhard Richter has been using photographic models for his artworks and editions since the 1960s. Richter lent these photorealistic works their characteristic blur by stroking across still wet canvas with a dry brush. In that way, the artist not only questions the truth of his own pictures, but also sharpens the viewer's gaze.
Abstract facsimile editions by Gerhard Richter
His abstract artworks and editions make up another major part of Richter’s oeuvre. The painter deals with the materiality and intrinsic effect of colour as well as the inclusion of chance during the artistic creation process.
Originals and further works by Gerhard Richter
We can currently offer you the aforementioned selection of originals and editions for sale. Should you be interested in further work by Gerhard Richter, please do not hesitate to write us. We will gladly research about further work by the German painter.
- Frankfurt a. M. - Städel Museum
- Munich – Die Pinakothek
- Munich – Lenbachhaus
- Dresden – Albertinum
- Nuremberg – Neues Museum
- Cologne – Museum Ludwig
- Dusseldorf - Kunstpalast
- Hamburg – Hamburger Kunsthalle
- Kiel – Kunsthalle zu Kiel
- Paris – Centre Pompidou
- Bilbao – Guggenheim Museum
- San Francisco - Museum of Modern Art
- Louisiana – Museum of Modern Art
- New York – Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
- Richmond - Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
- Kanazawa - 21st Century Museum of Contempoary Art
- 24.05.2019 – 12.01.2020 Artistic License: Six Takes on the Guggenheim Collection – Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York.
- 24.05.2019 – 09.09.2019 Gerhard Richter. Itsas Paisaiak – Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.
- 20.04.2019 – 01.06. 2019 Gerhard Richter. “PATH” – Wako Works of Art , Tokio.
- 12.04.2019 – 11.08.2019 Baselitz - Richter - Polke - Kiefer. Die jungen Jahre der Alten Meister – Staatsgalerie Stuttgart, Stuttgart.
- 09.04.2019 – 08.06.2019 Gerhard Richter. Overpainted Photographs – Gagosian Gallery, London.
- 06.04.2019 Reich Richter Pärt – The Shed, New York.
- 2018: Europäischer Kulturpreis Taurus for his life's work, Dresden.
- 2004: Katholischer Kunstpreis, Cologne.
- 1998: Wexner-Prize, Columbus, OH.
- 1997: Golden Lion Biennale, Venice.
- 1994/5: Wolf-Prize for Painting / Sculptur, Jerusalem.
- 1988: Kaiserring, Goslar.
- 1985: Oskar Kokoschka Prize, Vienna.
- Gerhard Richter Painting, Documentation by Corinna Belz, 97 min, Germany 2011.
- Wo Es war. Vier Briefe an Gerhard Richter, Georges Didi-Huberman, Cologne 2018.
- Gerhard Richter, Michael Gauthier, Paris 2018.
- The Truth is Always Grey. A History of Modernist Painting, Frances Guerin, Minneapolis 2018.
- Gerhard Richter. Unikate in Serie, Hubertus Butin, Cologne 2017.
- Gerhard Richter. Katalog Raisonne. Volume 2: 1968 – 1976, Dietmar Elger, Berlin 2017.
- Gerhard Richters Birkenau-Gemälde. Amnesia und Anamnese, Benjamin H. D. Buchloh, Cologne 2016.
- Theorie der Form. Gerhard Richter und die Kunst des pragmatischen Zeitalters, Florian Klinger, Munich 2013.
- Gerhard Richter. Landschaften, published by Dietmar Elger, Stuttgart 2011.
- Ein Maler aus Deutschland: Gerhard Richter: Das Drama einer Familie, Jürgen Schreiber, Munich / Zurich 2005.
- Gerhard Richter: 40 Tage, Gerhard Richter, London 2017.
- Birkenau. 93 Details aus meinem Bild „Birkenau“, Gerhard Richter, 2016.
- Gerhard Richter. War Cut, Gerhard Richter, New York 2013.
- Gerhard Richter. November, Gerhard Richter / Dieter Schwarz, London 2013.
- Gerhard Richter. Patterns. Divided, Mirrored, Repeated, Gerhard Richter, New York 2012.
- Gerhard Richter Homepage Overview of biography, exhibitions, works and literature.
- Gerhard Richter Archiv / SKD Collection of publications, books and other works.
- Art in Words - Gerhard Richter: Biografie Detailed biography.