The painter and object artist Robert Rauschenberg was a crucial figure in the transition from Abstract Expressionism to the later movements of Modernism because of his combination of radical materials and methods. Along with Andy Warhol and Jasper Johns, he is today considered one of the pioneers of Pop art.
- Born: 22 October 1925
- Place of birth: Port Arthur, Texas, USA
- Died on: 12 May 2008
- Nationality: American
- Studied at: Académie Julian Paris, Black Mountain College New York, Art Students League New York
- Teachers: Josef Albers, Robert Motherwell, Franz Kline
- Similar artists: Jim Dine, Andy Warhol, Robert Indiana, Allen Jones, Roy Lichtenstein
- Era: Postmodernism, contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: Expressionism, Pop art
|Robert Rauschenberg||Appointment||5.900 Euro||Original print||56.5 x 76 cm||edition of 54||yes||yes||10.07.2019|
Robert Milton Ernest Rauschenberg was born on October 22th 1925 in Port Arthur, Texas. He served in the US Navy until he studied art at the Kansas City Art Institute, then at the Académie Julian in Paris and finally at Black Mountain College in North Carolina. Here he met influential artists such as John Cage and Josef Albers.
In 1949, Rauschenberg moved to New York and attracted attention in the art scene with his early 'Black and White Paintings'. He also formulated a rejection of Abstract Expressionism with his erasure of a coloured drawing by Willem de Kooning.
In the 1950s, the artist began to integrate various materials into his sculpture-like collages and combined found objects into his works. With these ,,Combine Paintings" he challenged the status quo of art and experimented with traditional forms of art. He also began working with silkscreens and lithographs in the early 1960s. His integration of symbols of American culture was characteristic. In 1964, Rauschenberg was awarded the International Prize for Painting at the Venice Biennale, which testifies to the triumph of Pop Art in art.
Robert Rauschenberg was a versatile artist. The Texan also developed an interest in combining art and technology. Thus, in 1966, together with the electrical engineer Billy Klüver, he founded the project "Experiments in Art and Technology", in which engineers and artists worked together. In addition, the cultural exchange programme "Overseas Culture Interchange" was launched in 1984, consisting of 200 works of art by different artists, which Rauschenberg collected all over the world for seven years.
In 2006, the Museum of Modern Art, the Centre Pompidou as well as the Art Museum in Aarhus, Denmark, dedicated a large retrospective to him. Two years later, the painter and sculptor died at the age of 82 in his home on Captiva Island in Florida. The Robert Rauschenberg Foundation, which he founded in 1990, has been promoting the Texan's artistic legacy since 2012 and also awards grants and residency programmes to up-and-coming artists.
- 10.09.2021 - 23.10.2021 Robert Rauschenberg. Channel Surfing - PACE NEW YORK, New York City.
- 19.06.2021 - 12.09.2021 Sweet Lies. Fiktionen der Zugehörigkeit - Ludwig Forum, Aachen.
- 13.04.2021 - 31.07.2021 Robert Rauschenberg. Night Shades and Phantoms - Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac, London.
- 18.01.2021 - 08.5.2021 Robert Rauschenberg - Metal, Ink and Dye: Späte Arbeiten aus Captiva Island - BASTIAN London.
- 20.06.2020 - 23.08.2020 Mapping the Collection - Museum Ludwig, Cologne.
- 05.02.2020 - 14.06.2020 Photography and the Surreal Imagination - The Menil Collection, Houston.
- 01.02.2020 - 31.12.2020 Art after 1950 – Kunstmuseum Basel.
- 08.11.2019 - 15.05.2020 Der montierte Mensch / The Assembled Human - Museum Folkwang, Essen.
- 30.10.2019 - 01.06.2020 Der Mond. Sehnsucht, Kunst und Wissenschaft - Naturhistorisches Museum Wien, Vienna.
- 26.10.2019 - 26.01.2020 Direct Message: Art, Language, and Power - MCA Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago.
- 31.08.2019 - 05.01.2020 Critical Printing - Harvard Art Museums - Fogg, Busch-Reisinger, Arthur M. Sackler, Carpenter.
- 01.08.2019 - 30.11.2019 ZERO GRAVITY - ERES-Stiftung, Munich.
- 22.05.2019 - 08.09.2019 Al Norte de la Tormenta: from Robert Rauschenberg to Juan Muñoz - MAXXI Rome.
- 26.05.2019 - 01.09.2019 Alles Farbe! - Museum Morsbroich, Leverkusen.
- 28.10.2018 - 09.06.2019 Rauschenberg: The 1/4 Mile - Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angels.
- 20.04.2018 - 19.08.2018 Flashes of the Future. Die Kunst der 68er oder Die Macht der Ohnmächtigen - Ludwig Forum, Aachen.
- 18.11.2017 - 25.03.2018 Robert Rauschenberg. Erasing the Rules - San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco.
- 21.05.2017 - 17.09.2017 Robert Rauschenberg: Among Friends - The Museum of Modern Art, New York.
- 12.05.2017 - 27.08.2017 Robert Rauschenberg & Andy Warhol: Us Silkscreeners... - Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Venice.
- 09.03.2017 - 18.06.2017 The American Dream - pop to the present - British Museum, London.
- 01.12.2016 - 02.04.2017 Robert Rauschenberg - Tate Modern, London.
- 12.06.2016 - 21.08.2016 Rauschenberg in China - Ullens Center for Contemporary Art, Bejing.
- 01.07.2015 - 25.10.2015 Gloria: Robert Rauschenberg & Rachel Harrison - Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland.
- 05.06.2015 - 27.09.2015 Black Mountain. An Interdisciplinary Experiment, 1933–1957 - Hamburger Bahnhof, Berlin.
- 1964: International Grand Prize in Painting, 32nd Esposizione Biennale Internazionale d’Arte, Venice.
- 1983: Grammy Award for album design of 'Speaking in Tongues'.
- 1993: National Medal of Arts, USA.
- 1995: Leonardo da Vinci World Award of Arts.
- 2000: amfAR's Award of Excellence for Artistic Contributions to the Fight Against AIDS.
- Robert Rauschenberg - Pop Art Pioneer, Documentation by Kate Misrahi/BBC, 59min, UK 2016.
- Robert Rauschenberg: Man at Work, Documentation by Chris Granlund, 57min, USA, 1997.
- Robert Rauschenberg. Retrospective, Documentation by Michael Blackwood, 45min, USA 1979.
- Rauschenberg in China, exhibition catalog, Elizabeth Franzen (Publ.), Cologne 2016.
- Robert Rauschenberg Photographien 1949 - 1962, Susan Davidson & David White (Publ.), Munich 2011.
- Robert Rauschenberg, Jean Tinguely - collaborations, exhibition catalog, Museum Tinguely (Publ.), Bielefeld 2009.
- Black paintings, exhibition catalog, Stephanie Rosenthal (Publ.), Ostfildern 2006.
- Die Farben Schwarz in der New York School: Robert Rauschenberg, Ad Reinhardt, Frank Stella und Mark Rothko, Stephanie Rosenthal, Cologne2003.
- Rauschenberg - Posters, exhibition catalog, Marc Gundel (Publ.), München, London 2001.
- Robert Rauschenberg - Retrospektive, exhibition catalog, Guggenheim Museum. Walter Hopps & Susan Davidson (Publ.), Ostfildern-Ruit 1998.
- Humlebæk - Louisiana Museum of Modern Art
- Aachen - Ludwig Forum
- Berlin - Hamburger Bahnhof
- Essen - Museum Folkwang
- Hamburg - Hamburger Kunsthalle
- Cologne - Museum Ludwig
- Dublin - Irish Museum of Modern Art
- Tokyo - Hara Museum of Contemporary Art
- Basel - Museum für Gegenwartskunst
- Seoul - Art Sonje Center
- Budapest - Ludwig Museum
- Los Angeles - Los Angeles County Museum of Art LACMA
- New York - Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- New York - The Museum of Modern Art MOMA
- San Francisco - San Francisco Museum of Modern Art SFMOMA