Allen Jones is an internationally known British painter, graphic artist and sculptor. As a representative of English Pop art, Jones worked primarily on themes such as sexuality, eroticism and the relationship between men and women. He became known in the 1960s for his provocative and controversial sculptures, in which he staged naked female figures as pieces of furniture.
- Born: 1 September 1937
- Place of birth: Southampton, England
- Nationality: English
- Studied at: Hornsey College of Art, Royal College of Art London
- Similar artists: Robert Rauschenberg, Robert Indiana, Jim Dine
- Era: Contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: Pop art
The artist Allen Jones was born in 1937 in Southampton, England. He studied at Hornsey College of Art in London and then continued his studies at the Royal College of Art. However, he was expelled from the institution before graduation due to his rebellious attitude.
Allen Jones became part of the British Pop Art movement in the 1960s, a group of artists inspired by mass media, advertising and consumer culture. He gained particular attention with a series of controversial sculptures from 1969 that depicted women's bodies in fetish garments as pieces of furniture. These works were criticized both as a commentary on objectification and fetishism and by some critics and activists as sexist.
Despite the controversies surrounding some of his works, the artist is internationally recognized and his contribution to the Pop Art movement is highly regarded. His work has been exhibited in major galleries and museums worldwide, including the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Tate Gallery in London. Today the artist lives in London.
- 26.06.21 - 29.08.21 Sammlung König-Lebschik – Kunsthaus Bregenz.
- 12.05.21 - 05.09.21 Real Wild Child – Lentos Kunstmuseum, Linz.
- 20.02.21 - 06.09.21 Pictures and Promises - Vancouver Art Gallery.
- 16.04.20 - 29.05.20 Pop up! – Austin/Desmond Fine Art, London.
- 03.04.20 - 26.07.20 Pop on Paper. Von Warhol bis Lichtenstein – Kulturforum Berlin / Gemäldegalerie, Berlin.
- 18.10.2019 - 17.11.2019 POSTCARD RELOADED - Kunstraum Potsdam c/o Waschhaus.
- 27.01.2019 - 12.05.2019 BRITISH POP ART - Ludwig Galerie Schloss Oberhausen.
- 30.10.2016 - 19.02.2017 This Was Tomorrow - Pop Art in Great Britain - Kunstmuseum Wolfsburg.
- 26.02.2017 - 23.04.2017 ALLEN JONES: MAÎTRESSE - Michael Werner Gallery, London.
- 13.11.2014 - 25.01.2015 - Allen Jones RA - Royal Academy of Arts, London.
- 11.11.2014 - 09.12.2014 TOUCH: Figure drawings by Allen Jones 1958-2010 - Thomas Gibson Fine Art, London.
- 14.06.2013 - 22.09.2013 GLAM! THE PERFORMANCE OF STYLE - Schirn Kunsthalle Frankfurt.
- 20.09.2012 - 13.01.2013 Leben mit Pop! - Museum der Bildenden Künste Leipzig.
- 2007: Honorary Doctor of Arts, Southampton Solent University.
- 1963: Prix des Jeunes Artistes, Paris Biennale.
- Allen Jones: Werkverzeichnis der Grafik. Teil II, Thomas Levy, Bielefeld 2019.
- Allen Jones - Maîtresse, exhibition catalog, Thomas Levy (Publ.), Bielefeld, Berlin 2016.
- Allen Jones: Inside Out, Marco Livingstone, Zug 2015.
- Allen Jones - Off the wall, exhibition catalog,, Otto Letze (Publ.), Ostfildern 2012.
- Allen Jones, showtime, exhibition catalog,, Thomas Levy (Publ.), Bielefeld 2009.
- Allen Jones, Andrew Lambirth, London 2005.
- Antwerpen - MuHKA - Museum of Contemporary Art Antwerp
- Lisbon - Museu Calouste Gulbenkian
- Barcelona - Fundacio Sunol
- Washington D.C. - Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Allen Jones Kunstaspekte Exhibition and collection overview.