Dirk Skreber studied at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf from 1982 until 1988 and has already been able to make a name for himself in the art scene in the 1990s. At the age of 33, he obtained a guest professorship at the Staatliche Akademie der Bildenden Künste in Karlsruhe. Dirk Skreber’s artworks and editions are since then shown in numerous solo exhibitions around the world.
- Born: 1961
- Place of birth: Lübeck
- Nationality: German
- Studied at: Kunstakademie Düsseldorf
- Similar artists: Markus Oehlen, Jonathan Meese
- Era: Contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: Contemporary figuration
|Dirk Skreber||The Collusion||690 Euro||Original print||23.6 x 14.6 in||100 Exemplare||yes||yes||03.12.2019|
The painter and sculptor Dirk Skreber was born in Lübeck in 1961. He studied at the renowned Düsseldorf Art Academy from 1982 to 1988. In the 1990s, Skreber is able to quickly establish himself in the local art scene and becomes a scholarship holder of the Günther Peill Foundation Düren. At the age of only 33, he holds a one-year guest professorship at the State Academy of Fine Arts in Karlsruhe starting in 1994. His artistic breakthrough comes in 2000. With his painting, he beat out artists such as Katharina Grosse, Olaf Eliasson and Christian Jankowski at the Hamburger Bahnhof and won the coveted prize of the National Gallery for Young Art in Berlin.
Today, Skreber is one of the most important contemporary artists, creating installations and sculptures in addition to paintings and editions. In his works, he questions the ambivalence of media images between virtuality and reality and poses questions about the nature of painting. Following photographic models, he moves between abstraction and figuration, thematizing the dramatic and the mundane. Despite the unique sobriety, coolness and distance of his works, they develop a certain aesthetic appeal that activates the emotions of the viewer, who is not only observing, but at the same time fascinated and irritated by Skreber's pictorial worlds. Thus, the painter has attracted international attention through his polarizing positions.
In 2004 he went to the USA, where he still lives and works today. There he has had major solo exhibitions in Los Angeles, Aspen, or his adopted home of New York, where he moves into a studio in South Brooklyn.
- 10.03.2021 - 17.04.2021 Ongoing schmidt pick – Carlier Gebauer, Berlin.
- 01.09.2020 - 01.10.2020 Szene Berlin – Schloss Derneburg Museum, Derneburg.
- 09.01.2016 - 27.02.2016 DIRK SKREBER. The Long Hello - Capitain Petzel, Berlin.
- 14.02.2015 - 27.09.2015 Land in Sicht - 400 Jahre Landschaftsbilder - Weserburg Bremen.
- 07.11.2013 - 02.03.2014 Dirk Skreber - Contemporary Galleries, Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee.
- 21.02.2013 - 30.03.2013 Dirk Skreber. pain(t)ology and other trials - Petzel Gallery, New York.
- 09.09.2012 - 07.04.2013 Mein Rasierspiegel. Sammlungspräsentation - Museum Kurhaus Kleve.
- 01.11.2012 - 16.12.2012 THE PRESENCE OF PICTURES. German Painting - National Centre for Contemporary Arts, Moscow.
- 13.10.2012 - 11.11.2012 Dirk Skreber. so so so mottekoi - NANZUKA Tokyo.
- 03.06.2012 - 12.08.2012 Dirk Skreber. NDAA* Der Na(h)tanz-Hummer II - Leopold Hoesch Museum + Papiermuseum Düren.
- 19.06.2011 - 09.10.2011 MMK 1991-2011. 20 Jahre Gegenwart - Museum für Moderne Kunst, Frankfurt/Main.
- 27.05.2011 - 16.10.2011 The Shape of Things to Come: New Sculpture Part 1 - Saatchi Gallery, London.
- 06.12.2008 - 01.03.2009 Dirk Skreber / Martha Colburn / Jürgen Teller - Frans Hals Museum, Haarlem.
- 09.02.2008 - 27.04.2008 Dirk Skreber: Blutgeschwindigkeit - Kunsthalle Baden-Baden.
- 2000: Prize of the National Gallery for young artists, Berlin.
- Dirk Skreber - NDAA - Der Na(h)tanz-Hummer II, exhibition catalog, Renate Goldmann (Publ.), Berlin 2012.
- Dirk Skreber. Blutgeschwindigkeit. blood speed, exhibition catalog, Karola Grässlin (Publ.), Cologne 2008.
- Dirk Skreber, exhibition catalog, Renate Goldmann (Publ.), Cologne 2004.
- Dirk Skreber, exhibition catalog, Dorothea Strauss (Publ.), Freiburg im Breisgau 2002.
- Corinne Wasmuht, Martin Gerwers, Dirk Skreber, Malerei, exhibition catalog, Renate Goldmann (Publ.), Cologne 1996.
- Dirk Skreber, exhibition catalog, Kunstraum München e.V. (Publ.), Munich 1992.
- Baden-Baden - Museum Frieder Burda
- Bonn - Sammlung zeitgenössischer Kunst der Bundesrepublik Deutschland
- Derneburg - Hall Art Foundation, Schloss Derneburg Museum
- Frankfurt/Main - Sammlung Deutsche Bank
- Frankfurt/Main - Museum fur Modern Kunst (MMK)
- Kleve - Museum Kurhaus Kleve
- London - Saatchi Gallery
- Los Angeles - Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)
- Dirk Skreber Kunstaspekte Exhibition and collection overview.