Tauba Auerbach is a U.S. contemporary artist working in many artistic disciplines, including painting, photography, and sculpture. Her work operates at the nexus of conceptual art, abstraction, and printmaking. She addresses the nature of color, language, logic, and spatiality, expanding conventional spatial experiences and notions of dimensionality.
- Born: 1981
- Place of birth: San Francisco, California, USA
- Nationality: American
- Studied at: Stanford University
- Era: Contemporary art
Contemporary artist Tauba Auerbach was born in 1981 in San Francisco, California. Auerbach studied at Stanford University and graduated in 2003 with a Bachelor of Arts in Visual Studies. After graduation, she moved to New York City.
Auerbach's experimental works are characterized by a fascination with duality, dimensionality and transitions. She is known for her so-called "fold" paintings, in which the canvas is given a three-dimensional texture by folding and ironing before it is painted. The result is a play between surface and space, between painting and sculpture. In addition to these media, Auerbach has also worked in photography, drawing, and performance, often exploring scientific, mathematical, and linguistic themes.
Auerbach's work has been featured in solo and group exhibitions worldwide, including prestigious institutions such as the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Whitney Biennial. She has also received several art awards and fellowships. Today she lives and works in New York.
- 01.06.2023 - 25.08.2023 To Bend the Ear of the Outer World: Conversations on contemporary abstract painting - Gagosian Gallery, London.
- 26.03.2023 - 20.08.2023 Together in Time: Selections from the Hammer Contemporary Collection - Hammer Museum, Los Angeles.
- 14.02.2023 -19.11.2023 Five Ways In: Themes from the Collection - Walker Art Center, Minneapolis.
- 01.10.2021 – 31.12.2021 Tauba Auerbach - S v Z – San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco.
- 16.10.2020 – 21.11.2020 Tauba Auerbach – Standard (Oslo), Oslo.
- 10.10.20 – 10.01.21 Meeting in Language – Städtische Galerie Delmenhorst, Delmenhorst, Germany.
- 12.05.20 – 25.10.20 Emma Kunz Und Gegenwartskunst, Zahl, Rhythmus, Wandlung - Kunsthalle Ziegelhütte, Appenzell, Switzerland.
- 25.04.20 – 07.09.20 S v Z – SFMOMA, San Francisco, USA.
- 17.05.19 – 15.06.19 New Order Art and Technology in the Twenty-First Century - MOMA - The Museum of Modern Art, New York, USA.
- 26.04.18 – 16.09.18 GENERAL REHEARSAL - MMOMA Moscow, Russia.
- London - Zabludowicz Collection
- Athen - Deste Foundation
- Oslo - Astrup Fearnley Museet
- New York City - Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
- San Francisco - SFMOMA San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- Tauba Auerbach Kunstaspekte Exhibition and collection overview.
- www.taubaauerbach.com Website of the artist.
- An Artist Whose Work Might (Possibly) Have Its Own Free Will, by: Julia Felsenthal, in: www.nytimes.com, date: 16.03.2023.
- TAUBA AUERBACH | THE GIFT OF INTELLECT AND ITS BOUNDARIES VIA NEW EXHIBITION 'S V Z' AT SFMOMA, by: Nate Rynaski, in: www.flaunt.com, date: 13.03.2023.
- Tauba Auerbach’s Sculptural Art Books, by: Megan N. Liberty, in: www.hyperallergic.com, date: 12.09.2020.
- 5 Artists on Our Radar This Spring, by: Casey Lesser, in: www.artsy.net, date: 25.03.2020.
- TAUBA AUERBACH with Tom McGlynn, in: www.brooklynrail.org, by: Tom McGlynn, date: 18.01.2019.