Tatjana Doll is a contemporary German painter. In her mostly large-format paintings, the artist deals with the socio-political contexts of her pictorial objects and motifs. Characteristic of her artworks is the energetic, direct and sometimes raw painting style with richly applied lacquer colors.
- Born: 1970
- Place of birth: Burgsteinfurt, Germany
- Nationality: German
- Studied at: Kunstakademie Düsseldorf, Germany
- Teachers: Dieter Krieg
- Era: Contemporary art
The contemporary painter Tatjana Doll was born in Burgsteinfurt in 1970. In the late 1990s, she completed her studies at the Düsseldorf Art Academy as a master student of Dieter Krieg. Between 2005 and 2006, she held a guest professorship at the Weißensee Art Academy in Berlin.
Doll's paintings and works are often characterized by their impressive sizes and strong, clear colors. She incorporates everyday objects - such as toys, tools, containers, or traffic signs - and presents them in a new context or scale, prompting viewers to observe these objects from fresh perspectives and contemplate the socio-political contexts. Her paintings, often using vibrant, bold colors, play with the concept of iconography and investigate how everyday objects can be transformed into cultural symbols.
Doll's work has been featured in numerous solo and group exhibitions. Today, the painter resides and works in Berlin and Karlsruhe.
- 12.10.2022 – 06.02.2023 Paint It All! Recent Painting from Berlin – Berlinische Galerie, Berlin.
- 07.05.2022 – 28.08.2022 Artists’ Books – A Success Story - Museum für Angewandte Kunst, Frankfurt am Main.
- 04.12.2021 – 20.02.2022 SECRET FRIENDS - Kunsthalle Wilhelmshaven.
- 30.09.2021 – 20.10.2021 Tatjana Doll - Über Die Zeit - Deutsche Akademie Rom - Villa Massimo.
- 19.09.2021 – 27.02.2022 Tatjana Doll. Was heißt Untergrund? - KINDL – Zentrum für zeitgenössische Kunst, Berlin.
- 2021 Fred-Thieler Price, Berlin
- 2019 Laureate of the German Academy Rome Villa Massimo, Rome
- 2018 Konrad-von-Soest Price of the Landschaftsverband Westfalen-Lippe
- 2016 Hannah-Höch Price, Berlin
- 2003 Award of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia for Visual Arts
- Tatjana Doll. Toxic Chemicals, Reinhard Spieler, Klaus Gerrit Friese, Ulrich Loock, Sabine Mainberger, Heidelberg 2010.
- Tatjana Doll - Künstler - Kritisches Lexikon der Gegenwartskunst, Detlef Bluemler und Lothar Romain, Munich 2009.
- Tatjana Doll. Drive In, Tatjana Doll, Harald Kunde, Ulrich Loock, Cologne 2008.
- Tatjana Doll: 100 Bilder aus der Sammlung Schleich, Galerie Gebr. Lehmann, Peter Kämmerer, Vienna 2006.
- Girls (used to) Wait!, Tatjana Doll, Berlin 2011.
- Doll, Tatjana Doll, Berlin 2005.