Mimmo Paladino is a contemporary painter, printmaker and sculptor from Italy. His oeuvre includes oil and watercolor painting as well as collage, tempera and other printmaking techniques. In his work, Paladino fuses figurative and artistic references from many different cultural backgrounds, experiments with materials and techniques, works with recycled objects, and models archaic, totemic sculptures. He is considered a representative of the Italian Transavantgarde, to which artists such as Enzo Cucchi and Francesco Clemente are also attributed.
- Born: 18. Dezember 1948
- Place of birth: Paduli, Italy
- Nationality: Italian Art
- Studied at: Liceo Artistico (Benevento)
- Similar Artists: Enzzo Cucchi
- Era: contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: Neo-Expressionism, Transavantgarde
The contemporary painter and object artist Domenico Paladino, better known as Mimmo Paladino was born in 1948 in Paduli, province of Benevento in Italy. At an early age, his uncle, who was also a painter, introduced him to traditional painting techniques. So Paladino decided to study at the art school in Benevento. In the 1970s he was able to establish himself in the Italian art scene.
While in his early work Paladino was inspired by artists such as Paul Klee and Max Ernst and followed a surrealist tendency in his art, the painter finds his characteristic style in the course of his career. The Italian is known for using a wide range of materials and techniques. His works, whether in painting, sculpture or installation, are often characterized by intense colors, textured surfaces and the presence of symbolic motifs and shapes. Some of his best-known works are his large-scale installations, particularly those that include equine sculptures. These horses are often depicted in meditative or suffering poses, contributing to the strong emotional impact of his works.
Moreover, along with Enzo Cucchi, Francesco Clemente and Sandro Chia, Paladino is one of the main representatives of the Italian art movement of the "Transavanguardia", which called for a return to figurative painting and an emphasis on the emotional and symbolic, in contrast to the conceptual and minimalist trends of previous decades. Paladino's paintings and works are now in important private and public collections. Today the artist lives and works in Milan.
- 01.12.2023 – 19.05.2024 Borderless Universe in Their Minds: Italian Transavantgarde and Estonian Calm Expressionism – Kumu Art Museum, Tallinn.
- 24.02.2023 – 09.07.2023 Incarnations, le corps dans la collection – Musée d’Art Contemporain Lyon.
- 17.11.2022 – 28.01.2023 TRANSAVANGUARDIA RELOADED - Galerie Klüser, Munich.
- 11.09.21 – 31.10.21 Glasstress: Window to the Future – The State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg.
- 25.06.21 – 09.01.22 A.b.o. Theatron. Art Or Life – Castello di Rivoli Museo d’Arte Contemporanea, Turin.
- 27.02.21 – 26.09.21 wild/schön - Kunsthalle Emden.
- 01.06.20 – 13.09.20 Some Mysterious Process - Art Gallery NSW, Sydney.
- 17.03.18 – 19.08.18 CHALLENGING BEAUTY - Insights into Italian Contemporary Art - Parkview Museum, Singapore.
- 19.11.17 – 24.11.18 Pompei@Madre. Materia Archeologica - Museo MADRE, Naples.
- Die bildhauerischen Strukturen und geistigen Elemente im Werk von Mimmo Paladino, Barbara Lepschi, Cologne 2009.
- Mimmo Paladino. Skulptur & Malerei, Agnes Husslein-Arco, Weitra 2005.
- Mimmo Paladino - das grafische Werk 1974 – 2001, Enzo di Martino, Langenhagen 2001.
- Berlin - Hamburger Bahnhof - Museum für Gegenwart
- Berlin - Daimler Contemporary
- Frankfurt – Sammlung Deutsche Bank
- Leverkusen - Museum Morsbroich
- Rom - Valentina Bonomo
- Ravenna - Museo d´Arte della citta di Ravenna
- Bologna - Ca la Ghironda
- Bologna - Galleria Spazia
- Prato - Galleria Open Art
- Humlebæk - Louisiana Museum of Modern Art
- Los Angeles - LACMA - Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- Dallas - Nasher Sculpture Center
- Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City Museum of Art
- Mimmo Paladino Kunstaspekte Exhibition and collections overview.