Jorge Pardo is a Cuban-American contemporary artist. Characteristic of his working method is the exploration of design possibilities in the border area between architecture and art, sculpture and design, aesthetic autonomy and suitability for everyday use. In doing so, he constantly questions the artistic character and perception of his works.
- Born: 1963
- Place of birth: Havanna, Cuba
- Nationality: Cuban-US-American
- Studied at: University of Illinois (Chicago, USA), Art Center College of Design (Pasadena, USA)
- Era: Contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: abstract painting
Cuban-American artist Jorge Pardo was born in Havana in 1963. At the age of six, he moved with his family to the United States, specifically to Chicago. Here, he later studied at the University of Illinois and earned his BFA at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena.
Jorge Pardo's works exist in the border area between architecture, design, and art, resulting in multiple interpretations. He designs individual pieces of furniture, rooms, and even entire buildings that oscillate between practicality and aesthetic autonomy, deliberately creating moments of intrigue for the viewer. His paintings, drawings, installations, and objects also assume varying positions between art and design. In doing so, his biomorphic vocabulary of forms and his extensive palette of colors span from Art Nouveau to Classic Modernism to the design history of the 1950s and 1960s.
Jorge Pardo's works have been showcased in numerous international exhibitions. They are also part of numerous public collections, including the Centre Pompidou in Paris, the Tate Modern in London, and the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles. Today, Pardo lives and works in Mérida, Mexico.
- 27.03.21 – 07.02.21 Ways of Seeing Abstraction - Works from the Deutsche Bank Collection – PalaisPopulaire, Berlin.
- 02.10.20 – 28.02.21 KUNST ⇆ HANDWERK - Kestner Gesellschaft, Hanover.
- 05.11.19 – 16.02.20 ARTS — CRAFTS - Kunsthaus Graz / Universalmuseum Joanneum.
- 17.11.18 – 27.01.19 WEST BY MIDWEST - MCA Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago.
- 27.09.18 – 07.01.19 The world on Paper – Palais Populaire, Berlin.
- 20.01.18 – 08.04.18 Welcome to the Dollhouse – MOCA Pacific Design Center, West Hollywood.
- 04.01.17 – 01.10.17 Skulptur Projekte Münster in Marl "THE HOT WIRE" - Skulpturenmuseum Glaskasten Marl °.
- Jorge Pardo - display for the Musée des Augustins, Thierry Leviez, Berlin 2018.
- Jorge Pardo, Stiftung Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen. K21 (Publ.), Düsseldorf 2009.
- Düsseldorf - K20/K21 - Kunstsammlung Nordrhein Westfalen
- Berlin - Kunst im Deutschen Bundestag
- Mönchengladbach - Museum Abteiberg
- Frankfurt - DZ BANK Kunstsammlung
- Miami - De La Cruz Collection Contemporary Art Space.
- Chicago - MCA Museum of Contemporary Art
- Los Angeles - MOCA The Museum of Contemporary Art