The islandic artist Erro is well-known for his narrative figurations. He was born in 1932 as Gudmundur Gudmundsson in Olafsvik. From 1952 to 1954 he studied at the academy of art in Reykjavik and Oslo and moved to Paris in 1985. His time in Paris and New York City had a strong influence on his artistic development.
- Born: 1932
- Place of birth: Olafsvik, Iceland
- Nationality: Icelandic
- Studied at: Academy of Arts, Reykjavik
- Similar artists: Roy Lichtenstein, Jacques Monory, Robert Combas
- Era: contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: narrative figuration, Pop art
Today he is counted among the most important artists of narrative figuration in Europe. His artworks and editions are shown in many famous museums.
|Erro||Elvis||390 Euro||Original print||23.23 x 31.50 in||limited edition of 180||yes||yes||31.07.2019|
|Erro||Thwor||490 Euro||Original print||22.44 x 30.71 in||limited edition of 199||yes||yes||31.07.2019|
|Erro||Marilyn||390 Euro||Original print||23.23 x 31.50 in||limited edition of 180||yes||yes||31.07.2019|
|Erro||And when I do…||490 Euro||Original print||22.44 x 30.71 in||limited edition of 199||yes||yes||31.07.2019|
The artist Erró, whose real name is Guðmundur Guðmundsson, was born on July 19, 1932 in Ólafsvík, Iceland. He spent his childhood on a farm in southwestern Iceland. Erró studied at the Academy of Art in Reykjavik from 1952 to 1954, as well as at the Academy of Fine Art in Oslo. He then drifted to Florence, where he not only came into contact with the art of the great Renaissance painters, but also attended the Florence Academy of Art and the School of Byzantine Mosaic of Art. Here the artist learned about the craft of mosaic art.
At the end of the 1950s he moved to Paris, where he participated in the exhibition "Antiproces" or "Salon de Mai", among others. He belonged to those radical artists of the time who rejected geometric and lyrical abstraction. His paintings were political and shrill, as were the art actions he organized.
There followed a period in which "Erró", as he called himself since the late 60s, made various trips to Spain, France or Thailand and exhibited his works in other countries.
Even though Erró's works show a great variety of styles and genres, he is usually categorized between Pop Art and Surrealism. In an interesting way, he integrates elements of science fiction, comics, and most recently manga in his artworks and editions, addressing subjects from politics, science, war, or sexuality in a mostly critical, provocative, but also humorous way. His works often appear striking at first glance, but then reveal their multilayered and sometimes contradictory motifs.
Erró has been able to establish a firm place for himself in the art world over the last 60 years and is now considered the "great maverick" of 20th century art. In 2001, an entire section was dedicated to the artist at the Reykjavik Art Museum. In 2010, the Icelandic painter received the French Order of Merit Légion d'honneur (Chevalier degree). Today Erró lives and works in Paris, where his studio is also located.
- 19.06.21 - 12.09.21 Sweet Lies. Fiktionen der Zugehörigkeit - Ludwig Forum, Aachen.
- 28.02.20 - 23.10.20 Viva Gino! A Lifetime of Art - Les Abattoirs - Frac Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse.
- 29.06.19 - 29.09.19 Face it! - Kunstmuseum Ravensburg.
- 13.10.2018 - 22.04.2019 Erró: Black and White - Reykjavik Art Museum, Reykjavik.
- 15.09.2018 - 28.10.2018 57th October Salon "The Marvellous Cacophony" - October Salon, Belgrade.
- 18.02.2017 - 01.05.2017 Erró: More is Beautiful - Reykjavik Art Museum, Reykjavik.
- 08.10.2016 - 22.01.2017 Erró: War and Peace - Reykjavik Art Museum, Reykjavik.
- 28.08.2016 - 16.10.2016 Erró - Private Utopia - Ludwigmuseum, Koblenz.
- 24.02.2016 - 15.05.2016 International Pop - Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia.
- 17.09.2015 - 24.01.2016 The EY Exhibition: The World Goes Pop - Tate Modern, London.
- 03.10.2014 - 22.05.2015 ERRÓ - Musée d´Art Contemporain, Lyon.
- 12.09.2014 - 25.10.2014 ERRO and Friends. American Comics II. - Galerie Ernst Hilger, Vienna.
- 20.09.2012 - 13.01.2013 Leben mit Pop! - Museum der Bildenden Künste, Leipzig.
- 06.10. 2011 - 08.01.2012 Erró: Porträt und Landschaft - Schirn Kunsthalle, Frankfurt/Main.
- 17.02.2010 - 24.05.2010 Erró - 50 ans de collages - Centre Pompidou, Paris.
- 2010: Légion d’honneur, Chevalier-Grad, Paris.
- Erró - Grimaces, Axel Heil & Julien Martial, Karlsruhe 2018.
- Erró, Skira Rizzoli (Publ.), New York 2017.
- Erró 2012-2015, Cercle d'Art (Publ.), Paris 2017.
- Erró: private Utopia, exhibition catalog, Hilger Collection & Ludwig Museum Koblenz (Publ.), Vienna 2016.
- Erró, exhibition catalog, Galerie Perrotin (Publ.), Grenoble 2016.
- Erró, Jean- Jacques Lebel: 1955 - 2011, exhibition catalog, Galerie Ernst Hilger (Publ.), Nuremberg 2011.
- Erró. Porträt und Landschaft, exhibition catalog, Esther Schlicht & Max Hollein (Publ.), Ostfildern 2011.
- Erró - Retrospektive 1958-2004, exhibition catalog, Mannheim 2005.
- Erró: political painting, exhibition catalog, Hans Joachim Neyer (Publ.), Ostfildern-Ruit 1996.
- Berlin - Neue Nationalgalerie
- Montpellier - Frac Languedoc-Roussillon
- Paris - Centre Pompidou
- Sérignan - Musée régional d´art contemporain (MRAC)
- Toulouse - Les Abattoirs - Frac Midi-Pyrénées
- Villeneuve d´Ascq - Musée d´art moderne de Lille (LAM)
- Reykjavik - Reykjavik Art Museum
- Vancouver - Vancouver Art Gallery
- Hovikodden - Henie Onstad Kunstsenter
- Lisbon - Museu Berardo
- Barcelona - Museu d’Art Contemporani de Barcelona (MACBA)
- Erro Kunstaspekte Exhibition and collection overview.