Donald Baechler is an American contemporary painter and sculptor. He is known primarily for his paintings in which he transfers objects, motifs and symbols from his own constantly growing collection of photographs, newspaper clippings and found materials in a painterly layering process collage-like on the canvas, rearranges, overpaints or merges and thus creates symbolic and sometimes naive visual worlds. His paintings and works are located in the vicinity of Pop art and Neo-expressionism.
- Born: 22 November 1956
- Place of birth: Harford, Connecticut, USA
- Nationality: American Art
- Studied at: Maryland Institute College of Art; Cooper Union; Städelschule
- Era: contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: Neo-expressionism, Pop art
Donald Baechler was born in 1956 in Hartford, Connecticut. He showed a keen interest in art from a young age. He studied at the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, the Cooper Union in New York City, and the Städelschule in Frankfurt.
In the 1980s, Baechler's work as an artist began to gain recognition. He is best known for his distinctive paintings and collages, which often feature childlike motifs and naïve drawing styles. These depictions are often presented in combination with textures and collaged elements, creating a depth and complexity that distinguishes his works from purely naive art. In addition, since the 1990s, the artist has also created sculptures that reflect his characteristic interest in childlike forms and motifs.
Donald Baechler's works are represented in important private and public collections, as well as in museums around the world. In 2022, the artist passed away in his adopted home of New York City. He made an important contribution to Pop Art as well as to Neo-Expressionist painting.
- 07.07.18 – 04.09.18 In Times Of Plenty | The Shape Of Things Today - Reflex Amsterdam.
- 27.01.17 – 13.02.19 Im Blick des Sammlers. Werke der Sammlung Würth von Beckmann bis Kiefer - Forum Würth Arlesheim.
- 26.06.16 – 23.10.16 Lasst Blumen sprechen! - Museum Schloss Moyland, Bedburg-Hau.
- 27.09.15 – 04.09.16 I LIKE AMERICA - SCHAUWERK Sindelfingen.
- Blickachsen, Christian K. Scheffel, Bad Homburg 2009.
- Think outside the box - do the right thing, Marika Wachtmeister, Knislinge 2009.
- Donald Baechler. Skulptur und Malerei, Andrea Madesta, Klagenfurt 2007.
- Donald Baechler. Skulpturen, Agnes Husslein-Arco, Museum der Moderne Salzburg, Weitra 2004.
- Munich - Sammlung Goetz
- Frankfurt - Sammlung Deutsche Bank
- Aachen - Ludwig Forum für Internationale Kunst
- Sindelfingen - SCHAUWERK Sindelfingen
- Amsterdam - Stedelijk Museum
- Paris - Centre Georges-Pompidou
- New York City - Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
- New York City - Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- New York City - Dieu Donné Papermill
- Los Angeles - Broad Contemporary Art Museum Santa Monica / The Broad Art Foundation
- Cambridge - THE CONTEMPORARY ART MUSEUM AT MIT
- Denton - West Collection, Oaks
- Vancouver - Vancouver Art Gallery
- Donald Baechler Hompage Overview of biography, exhibitions and artworks.