Cindy Sherman is an American photographer and filmmaker known for her conceptual portraits. She often explores themes of identity, representation and the role of women in society in her art.
- Born: January 19, 1954
- Place of birth: Glen Ridge, New Jersey, USA
- Nationality: American
- Studied at: State University of New York, Buffalo
- Similar artists: Nan Goldin, Jenny Holzer
- Era: Contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: Conceptual photography, Pictures Generation
Sherman is particularly known for her "Untitled Film Stills" series, in which she portrays herself in various roles and scenarios that typically challenge female stereotypes in film and media. Her work has made her one of the most influential artists in contemporary photography.
We currently don't have any Cindy Sherman artworks and editions for sale
Cindy Sherman was born in 1954 in Glen Ridge, New Jersey, and developed her interest in art during her school years. She studied at the State University of New York at Buffalo, where she shifted her focus from painting to photography. In the late 1970s, she began work on her now iconic "Untitled Film Stills" series, in which she staged herself in the roles of various female character types from media and film. This work brought Sherman recognition in the 1980s, and she quickly became a leading figure of the "Pictures Generation," a group of artists who integrated visual language and media criticism into their work.
Throughout her career, Sherman has explored a variety of roles and scenarios, from horror and film noir depictions to historical portraits and fashion magazine shoots. Throughout, her work has constantly questioned the role of women in society and critiqued the way women are portrayed in the media. Sherman has received numerous awards and honors, including an honorary doctorate from the Royal College of Art in London and the Praemium Imperiale, one of the most prestigious awards in the art world. Today she lives and works in New York City.
- 18.11.2023 - 17.03.2023 The Milton and Sheila Fine Collection - Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburg.
- 07.10.2023 - 28.01.2023 Cindy Sherman: Anti Fashion - Deichtorhallen Hamburg.
- 09.06.2023 - 23.09.2023 Cindy Sherman - HAUSER & WIRTH Zurich
- 15.03.2023 - 14.01.2024 On Stage. Die Kunst als Bühne - MUMOK Wien, Vienna
- 04.03.2023 - 18.06.2023 REACHING FOR THE STARS - Palazzo Strozzi, Florence.
- 04.02.2023 - 05.06.2023 Cindy Sherman - Tapestries - ARoS Aarhus.
- 2019: Max-Beckmann-Prize
- 2016: Praemium Imperale
- 2012: Roswitha Haftmann-Prize
- 2001: International Award in Photography, Hasselblad Foundation
- 1999: Goslarer Kaiserring
- 1997: Wolfgang-Hahn-Prize
- 1993: Larry Aldrich Foundation Award, Connecticut
- 1989: Skowhegan Medal for Photography, Maine
- Guest of Cindy Sherman, documentary, Paul H-O & Tom Donahue, 88 min., USA 2008.
- The Cindy Sherman effect. Identität und Transformation in der zeitgenössischen Kunst, Ingried Brugger, Munich 2020.
- Cindy Sherman. Untitled horrors, Lena Essling, Ostfildern 2013.
- Cindy Sherman. A play of selves, Cindy Sherman, Ostfildern 2007.
- Cindy Sherman. 1979-1993, Cindy Sherman, Munich 1993.
- Frankfurt - DZ BANK Kunstsammlung
- Hamburg – Hamburger Kunsthalle
- Berlin - Hamburger Bahnhof – Nationalgalerie der Gegenwart
- Wolfsburg - Kunstmuseum Wolfsburg
- Stockholm - MAGASIN III Stockholm
- Malmö - Malmö Konsthall
- Oslo - Astrup Fearnley Museet
- Istanbul - Elgiz Museum of Contemporary Art
- New York - MOMA - The Museum of Modern Art
- Los Angeles - MOCA The Museum of Contemporary Art
- Chicago - Museum of Contemporary Photography at Columbia College Chicago
- Northampton - Smith College Museum of Art
- Milwaukee - Milwaukee Art Museum
- Boston - ICA Boston