Aura Rosenberg is a conceptual artist born in the USA. In her paintings, sculptures, photographs and videos Rosenberg explores themes of sexuality, childhood and world history. She lives and works in Berlin and New York.
- Born on: 1949
- Birthplace: New York City, USA
- Nationality: American
- Studied at: Sarah Lawrence College New York, Hunter College New York
- Era: contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: conceptual art
|Aura Rosenberg||Untitled (Body print)||1100 Euro||Original print||31.5 x 47.2 in||limited edition of 10||yes||yes||31.07.2019|
|Aura Rosenberg||tied up 1||400 Euro||Original print||12.8 x 17.1 in||limited edition of 5||yes||yes||31.07.2019|
|Aura Rosenberg||tied up 2||400 Euro||Original print||12.8 x 17.1 in||limited edition of 5||yes||yes||31.07.2019|
|Aura Rosenberg||tied up 3||400 Euro||Original print||12.8 x 17.1 in||limited edition of 5||yes||yes||31.07.2019|
Aura Rosenberg was born in New York City in 1949 to a German-Jewish family. She received her artistic education at Sarah Lawrence College and at the MFA at Hunter College. She also attended the Independent Study Program at the Whitney Museum of American Art.
Aura Rosenberg's art deals with themes of the body, sexuality and gender. In the late 1980s, for example, she created provocative sculptures, photographs, and paintings based on images from pornographic magazines. Although Rosenberg turned away from incorporating pornography into her art in the mid-1990s when she became a mother, she returned to the subject matter in the 2010s. The industry had changed drastically, and Rosenberg faced the challenge of reconciling her previous approach to the subject with the new digitized products of the 21st century.
Rosenberg's interest in the physical is also evident in her collection of body paintings, which she performs by covering herself in acrylic paint and then imprinting the canvas with her figure. It's an action that underscores the artist's literal presence in her work.
Rosenberg is married to artist John Miller, with whom she has also worked. In the early 1990s, Rosenberg moved from New York to Berlin with her husband and two-year-old daughter at the invitation of the DAAD. Here she discovered Walter Benjamin's "Berliner Leitfaden" (1933), which not only became an important orientation for her city walks, but through which she also learned the German language. She continued Benjamin's literary and visual correspondence with a specially edited publication, making her work a "German-Jewish re-vision."
Aura Rosenberg teaches at Pratt Institute and the School of Visual Arts. She is represented by Martos Gallery in New York City and Meliksetian Briggs Gallery in Los Angeles. Today, the artist lives and works in New York and Berlin.
- 08.12.2022 – 29.01.2023 Social Photography X – Carriage Trade, New York City.
- 10.09.2022 – 18.09.2022 K60 – Hallen#3 – Wilhelm Hallen, Berlin.
- 12.03.2022 – 29.05.2022 Obertura: Más allá de los mapas – Museo de Arte Contemporaneo de Alicante (MACA), Alicante.
- 11.06.2021 - 03.12.2021 30 Jahre KW: - Auktion in Kooperation mit Grisebach – KW Institute for Contemporary Art, Berlin.
- 11.05.2021 - 18.07.2021 Paradise Lost #gender shift - DG Kunstraum, Munich
- 31.10.2020 - 05.04.2021 IN ALLER MUNDE ... - Kunstmuseum Wolfsburg.
- 29.06.2019 - 29.09.2019 Face it! - Kunstmuseum Ravensburg.
- 13.04.2019 - 28.07.2019 Straying from the Line - Schinkel Pavillon, Berlin.
- 12.04.2019 - 25.05.2019 Absolute Thresholds - Francesca Pia Gallery, Zurich.
- 01.03.2019 - 21.04.2019 Statues Also Fall in Love - Martos Gallery, New York City.
- 29.09.2018 - 24.02.2019 Ekstase - Kunstmuseum Stuttgart.
- 30.05.2017 - 17.09.2017 AFTER THE FACT - Das Lenbachhaus, Munich.
- 19.05.2017 - 06.08.2017 99 Cents or Less - Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit.
- 30.04.2016 - 12.06.2016 Aura Rosenberg. Head Shots - JOAN, Los Angeles.
- 31.10.2015 - 09.01.2016 Who Am I? What Am I? Where Am I? - Meliksetian | Briggs, Los Angeles.
- 09.06.2015 - 31.07.2015 Athens Photo Festival APhF:15 "Reframe Memory" - Athens Photo Festival APhF, Athens.
- 16.10.2014 - 16-11.2014 Memory Lab: Die Wiederkehr des Sentimentalen - Martin Gropius Bau, Berlin.
- 02.11.2013 - 21.12.2013 Scene / Obscene - Meliksetian | Briggs, Los Angeles.
- Who Am I? What Am I? Where Am I?, picture book by Aura Rosenberg, Stuttgart 2009.
- Berliner Kindheit. Aura Rosenberg, picture book by Aura Rosenberg, Göttingen 2002.
- Aura Rosenberg. Head Shots, picture book by Aura Rosenberg, New York 1995.
- Brussels - Lhoist Collection
- Boise - Boise Art Museum
- Cincinnati - Cincinnati Museum of Art
- Los Angeles - The Norton Foundation
- Miami Beach - The Bass
- New York - Guggenheim Museum
- New York - New Museum of Contemporary Art
- Kansas City - Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art