Paul Morrison is a contemporary painter from Liverpool. He is best known for his black-and-white, mostly monumental murals with compositions of botanical motifs, with which he redefines the traditional genre of landscape painting.
- Born: 1966
- Place of birth: Liverpool, Great Britain
- Nationality: British
- Studied at: Sheffield City Polytechnic, Goldsmith College London
- Era: Contemporary art
Paul Morrison was born in Liverpool in 1966. He first studied at Sheffield City Polytechnic and then attended the renowned Goldsmiths College in London. He graduated with a Master of Arts degree in 1998.
Morrison's wall-sized black-and-white landscape panoramas and series of paintings were able to attract international attention as early as the 1990s. The artist creates monochrome landscape and botanical depictions as large-scale and room-filling wall paintings, sometimes in smaller formats, in which he plays impressively with proportions and perspectives. His art appear sometimes as an abstract mesh of lines, sometimes as a lifelike depiction of the plant world. Spiny undergrowth and trees often obscure the view beyond the immediate foreground. Dandelion plants and other flora are enlarged or distorted to many times their normal size. The painter finds inspiration not only in comics and animation, but also in children's book illustrations or historical woodcuts and etchings. In addition, he also creates films or metal objects that resemble oversized plant images.
In his most recent works, Morrison also seeks to engage with these visual worlds and relate them to the architecture of the exhibition space. For a solo exhibition at the Stadtgalerie Saarbrücken, for example, the Briton realized a space-defining wall painting that takes up the character of the baroque city palace and transforms it into the uncanny and fantastic.
The British artist has had numerous exhibitions in England and other European countries. His artworks and editions can be found in renowned collections such as the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and the Städel Museum in Frankfurt. Today Morrison lives and works in Yorkshire, England.
- 18.06.2020 - 08.11.2020 GARTENDERGEGENWART - Salon der Gegenwart / GARTENDERGEGENWART, Hamburg.
- 14.09.2019 - 15.10.2019 DARK LANTERN - Knust Kunz, Munich.
- 06.09.2019 - 30.10.2019 PAUL MORRISON. DANDELION - VAN HORN, Dusseldorf.
- 24.02.2015 - 21.03.2015 Face to Face - Galerie Bob van Orsouw, Zurich.
- 30.03.2013 - 13.04.2014 Andratx on Paper - Centro Cultural Andratx.
- 25.09.2010 - 06.11.2010 Walter Pfeiffer, Paul Morrison, Peter Kamm - Galerie Bob van Orsouw, Zurich.
- 19.02.2010 - 06.06.2010 Murals - Practiques murals contemporanies - Fundació Joan Miró, Barcelona.
- 12.02.2009 - 21.03.2009 Paul Morrison - Cheim & Read, New York.
- "... ein Himmel wie blaues Porzellan": Reto Boller, Harald Braun, Berta Fischer, Paul Morrison, exhibition catalog, Andreas Baur (Publ.), Esslingen 2002.
- Paul Morrison, Chloroplast, exhibition catalog, Southampton City Art Gallery (Publ.), Cologne 2002.
- Werkstatt Europa: Positionen europäischer Gegenwartskunst, exhibition catalog, Jürgen Knubben (Publ.), Ostfildern-Ruit 2000.
- Liverpool - Walker Art Gallery
- London - Zabludowicz Collection
- Southampton - Southampton City Art Gallery
- Istanbul - Elgiz Museum of Contemporary Art
- Paul Morrison Kunstaspekte Exhibition and collection overview.