Mark Manders is a contemporary Dutch painter. For more than three decades, Mark Manders has developed a series of conceptual self-portraits in the form of sculptures, still lifes, and architectural plans. These present enigmatic and evocative tableaus that allow the viewer to construct their own narrative conclusions and meanings.
- Born: 1968
- Place of birth: Volkel, Netherlands
- Nationality: Dutch
- Studied at: Grafische School, ArtEZ University of the Arts (Arnhem, Netherlands)
- Era: Contemporary art
Mark Manders was born in 1968 in Volkel, the Netherlands. He originally began his artistic career as a writer. In the late 1980s, however, Manders turned to visual art and began to develop his "Self-Portraits as Buildings," an ongoing project that permeates many of his later works.
Mark Manders' works are internationally recognized and have been exhibited in prestigious institutions around the world, including participations in Documenta and the Venice Biennale.
- 28.09.2021 - 27.02.2022 L’Âme primitive – Musée Zadkine, Paris.
- 20.03.2021 - 20.06.2021 The Absence of Mark Manders - Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo (MOT).
- 26.02.2021 - 31.12.2021 Helga de Alvear Collection – Centro de Artes Visuales Helga de Alvear, Cáceres.
- 14.07.2020 - 28.08.2020 The Return of the Real - Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, New York City.
- 04.02.2020 - 23.08.2020 The Absence of Mark Manders - Bonnefantenmuseum, Maastricht.
- 31.10.2019 - 12.01.2020 CONVEX / CONCAVE. Belgian Contemporary Art - TANK Shanghai.
- 21.10.2019 (Opening) Surrounds: 11 Installations - MOMA - The Museum of Modern Art, New York City.
- 18.10.2018 - 25.02.2019 Sanguine. Luc Tuymans on Baroque - Fondazione Prada, Milan.
- 2010: A.H.-Heineken-Prize for art.
- 2002: Philip-Morris-Artprize.
- 2000: Vordemberge-Gildewart Prize.
- 1997: Fondazione Sandretto Re Rebaudengo per l'Arte
- 1994: touche prijs, Kunststichting Touche
- 1992: Prix de Rome
- 1992: Prix Nouvelles Images
- Mark Manders: Parallel Occurrences, Documented Assignments, exhibition catalog, Hammer Museum (Publ.), Los Angeles 2010.
- The absence of Mark Manders, exhibition catalog, Stephan Berg (Publ.), Ostfildern 2007.
- Munich - Pinakothek der Moderne
- Toronto - Art Gallery of Ontario
- Chicago - MCA Museum of Contemporary Art
- Los Angeles - MOCA The Museum of Contemporary Art
- New York - MOMA Museum of Modern Art
- New York - Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- San Francisco - SFMOMA San Francisco Museum of Modern Art