Marina Abramovic is a world-renowned Serbian performance artist who is considered one of the leading figures in this art form.
- Born: November 30, 1946
- Place of birth: Dresden, Saxon
- Nationality: Serbian
- Studied at: Academy of Fine Arts, Belgrade
- Era: Contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: Conceptual Art, Performance Art, Feminist Art
Since the 1970s, Abramovics works have explored the relationship between artist and audience, the physical and mental limits of the body, and the emotional and spiritual aspects of human existence. She is famous for her provocative, intense performances, often using her own body as a medium
We currently don't have any Marina Abramovic artworks and editions for sale
Marina Abramovic was born in 1946 in Belgrade, Yugoslavia, into a family of artists and began her training at the Academy of Fine Arts in her hometown. In the 1970s, Abramovic began performing, which often involved extreme physical and psychological stress. She co-founded the performance duo Abramovic/Ulay, which lasted from 1976 to 1988, during which time they created groundbreaking works of performance art.
After parting ways with Ulay, Abramovic continued her solo career, further developing her approach to "transpersonal art." She became increasingly known for her long-running performances that explored the boundaries of body and mind.
In 1997 she represented Serbia and Montenegro at the Venice Biennale and won the Golden Lion for her performance "Balkan Baroque". Probably her best-known performance, "The Artist Is Present," took place in 2010 at the Museum of Modern Art and attracted a wide audience.
Today Abramovic lives and works in New York City and continues to be an active and influential voice in the contemporary art world.
- 23.09.2023 - 01.01.2024 Marina Abramovic - Royal Academy of Arts, London.
- 30.06.2023 - 09.07.2023 Free Interdisciplinary Performance Laboratory - Museum Folkwang, Essen.
- 26.05.2023 - 27.08.2023 Body and Territory - Kunsthaus Graz / Universalmuseum Joanneum / Alte Galerie.
- 26.05.2023 - 29.07.2023 MARINA ABRAMOVIĆ. Energy Clothes - Krinzinger, Vienna.
- 15.03.2023 - 14.01.2024 On Stage. Die Kunst als Bühne - MUMOK Wien, Vienna.
- 1997: Golden Lion, XLVII Venice Biennale.
- 2003: Lower Saxony Art Prize.
- 2012: Berliner Bär, Berlin.
- 2018: Globart Award.
- 2021: Prinzessin-von-Asturien-Prize for art.
- The Space in Between: Marina Abramovic and Brazil, documentary, Marco del Fiol, 86 min., Brasil 2016.
- Marina Abramović. The Artist Is Present, documentary, Matthew Akers, 106 min., Germany 2012.
- Marina Abramovic. Gates and portals, Dominik Czechowski, Amy Budd, Cologne 2022.
- Marina Abramović, Hans Ulrich Obrist, Cologne 2010.
- Marina Abramović. The future of performance art, Paula Orrell, Munich 2010.
- Marina Abramović. Nomadic Journey and Spirit of Places, Marina Abramovic, Munich 2023.
- Marina Abramović. Durch Mauern gehen. Autobiografie, Marina Abramović, James Kaplan, Munich 2016.
- Oslo - National Museum of Norway
- Ghent - S.M.A.K. Ghent