Jim Hodges is a contemporary installation artist based in New York. He is best known for his mixed media sculptures and collages. In his works he deals with themes such as fragility, temporality, love and death in a highly original and poetic vocabulary.
- Born: 16 October 1957
- Place of birth: Spokane, Washington, USA
- Nationality: American
- Studied at: Fort Wright College Washington, Pratt Institute New York
- Era: Contemporary art
Contemporary artist Jim Hodges was born in Spokane, Washington in 1957. Hodges earned his Bachelor of Fine Arts from Fort Wright College in Spokane in 1980 and later, in 1986, his Master of Fine Arts from Pratt Institute in New York City.
Jim Hodges work includes photographs, silkscreens, and sculptures. He is particularly known for his use of everyday materials such as cobwebs, flowers, tissue paper, and handkerchiefs. He transforms these materials into sensual and meditative works of art that explore themes of transience, beauty, love, and death.
Jim Hodges' works have been exhibited in major museums and galleries worldwide. He has received numerous awards and recognitions throughout his career. Institutions that have presented his work include the Centre Pompidou in Paris, the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York, and the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis.
- 03.01.20 - 05.01.20 22nd Annual Postcards From The Edge – Bortolami, New York City.
- 02.03.19 - 30.04.19 Jim Hodges: You – The Fabric Workshop and Museum, Philadelphia.
- 05.04.18 - 14.06.18 Paper/Print: American Hand Papermaking - International Print Center New York.
- 29.11.17 - 03.02.18 JIM HODGES - Galleria Massimo De Carlo, Milan °.
- 18.05.17 - 28.08.17 Infinite Garden. From Giverny to Amazonia - Centre Pompidou-Metz.
- Jim Hodges. Drawings. Baldwin Gallery (Publ.), Aspen 2012.
- Jim Hodges. 1991, 1992, CRG Gallery (Publ.), New York City 2007.
- Hamburg - REINKINGPROJEKTE Hamburg
- New York City - Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
- New York - Dieu Donné Papermill
- San Francisco - SFMOMA San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- Miami - De La Cruz Collection Contemporary Art Space
- Chicago - MCA Museum of Contemporary Art
- Kansas City - The Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, Kansas City
- Jim Hodges Kunstaspekte Exhibition and collection overview.