Gilbert & George
The artistic duo Gilbert & George are two british artists that work as one creative entity. They met during their studies at St. Martin’s School of Art in London. They first gained public attention with their happening “Living Sculptures”.
- Born on: 1943 / 1942
- Place of birth: Italy / Great Britian
- Nationality: British
- Studied at: St. Martin’s School of Art London
- Similar Artists: Damien Hirst, Joseph Beuys, Marina Abramović
- Era: Contemporary art
The duo works across different media while continiously persuing their goal to make anti-elitist art. They received several awards and were also given the prestigious Turner Prize.
George Passmore was born in Plymouth, Great Britain in 1942 and Gilbert Prousch a year later in St. Martin in Thurn, Italy. While Passmore studied at the Dartington Adult Education Centre, Dartington College of Arts and the Oxford School of Art, Prousch took up art studies in Wolkenstein and at the Hallein Sculpture School and the Art Academy in Munich before moving to England. Both met in 1967 at St. Martins School of Art, where they were taking sculpture classes. They quickly recognized a shared artistic vision and began working together as "Living Sculptures." These performances often depicted the two as moving sculptures, painted in metallic colors and wearing formal suits. Today, Gilbert and George are best known for their graphically enhanced photographic collages, which often explore provocative or controversial themes such as religion, sexuality, racism, and death. Much of their work is autobiographical, reflecting their lives in London's East End.
The artist duo has already won many important art awards. Among others, the Turner Prize, one of the most important art prizes in Great Britain. Their paintings and works can be found in prestigious collections worldwide. Away from art, Gilbert and George are also life partners. They live and work in the London Borough of Spitalfields in East London. There, both have opened their own exhibition house, the "Gilbert & George Centre" in 2023.
- 30.07.21 – 02.02.22 The Narrow Gate of the Here-and-Now, IMMA: 30 Years of the Global – Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin.
- 29.05.21 – 22.11.21 Acrimboldo Face to Face – Centre Pompidou-Metz, Paris.
- 19.06.21 – 12.09.21 Sweet Lies. Fiktionen der Zugehörigkeit - Ludwig Forum, Aachen.
- 19.06.21 – 03.10.21 ROHKUNSTBAU26. Ich bin Natur - Von der Verletzlichkeit. Überleben in der Risikogesellschaft – ROHKUNSTBAU, Brandenburg.
- 09.06.21 – 19.09.21 DIVERSITY UNITED - Flughafen Tempelhof Berlin.
- 15.05.21 – 08.08.21 The Paradox of Stillness - Art, Object, and Performance - Walker Art Center, Minneapolis.
- 12.02.21 – 16.05.21 GILBERT & GEORGE: THE GREAT EXHIBITION - Schirn Kunsthalle Frankfurt.
- 18.02.21 – 14.03.21 The Essl Collection - Albertina, Vienna.
- 05.09.20 – 08.11.20 Creative Folkestone Triennial 2020 "The Plot" – Folkestone.
- 22.02.20 – 10.05.20 Gilbert & George. THE GREAT EXHIBITION, 1971–2016 - Luma Westbau und Kunsthalle Zurich.
- 14.11.19 – 07.02.20 DIE FREIHEIT DER DINGE - Galerie Der Spiegel, Cologne.
- 18.10.19 – 17.11.19 POSTCARD RELOADED - Kunstraum Potsdam c/o Waschhaus, Potsdam.
- 13.09.19 – 05.01.20 GILBERT & GEORGE THE GREAT EXHIBITION - Astrup Fearnley Museet, Oslo.
- 09.02.19 – 12.05.19 Gilbert & George. The Great Exhibition - Moderna Museet Stockholm.
- 18.01.19 – 09.05.19 FUCK YOUR FEAR - VAN HORN, Düsseldorf.
- 07.09.18 – 31.10.18 Lebendige Skulpturen - Sies + Höke, Düsseldorf.
- 02.07.18 – 23.09.18 Les Rencontres d´Arles 2018 - Les Rencontres d´Arles.
- 02.07.18 – 06.01.19 Gilbert & George : The Great Exhibition (1971-2016) - LUMA Foundation, Arles.
- 11.01.18 – 22.02.18 GILBERT & GEORGE. THE BEARD PICTURES - BERNIER/ELIADES GALLERY Athens °.
- 1986: Turner Prize
- Gespräche mit Gilbert & George, François Jonquet, Margret Millischer, Bern 2019.
- Gilbert & George – Die große Ausstellung, Ostfildern 2007.
- Gilbert & George, Hans-Ulrich Obrist, Cologne 2007.
- The Words of Gilbert and George, Hans-Ulrich Obrist, Robert Violette (Publ.), London 1997.
- Cologne - Museum Ludwig Köln
- Berlin - Burger Collection
- Frankfurt - DZ BANK Kunstsammlung
- Hamburg - Deichtorhallen Hamburg & Sammlung Falckenberg
- Wolfsburg - Kunstmuseum Wolfsburg
- London - Tate Collection
- London - Arts Council Collection
- London - Zabludowicz Collection
- London - South London Gallery
- London - HISCOX London
- Bilbao - Guggenheim Bilbao
- Gilbert & George Kunstaspekte Exhibition and collection overview.