Gerd Rohling is a contemporary object artist and painter from Germany. Rohling's works are characterized on the one hand by the pursuit of the autonomous object, as well as by the play with language and the transformation of meaning.
- Born: 1946
- Place of birth: Krefeld, Germany
- Nationality: German
- Studied at: Berlin University of the Arts, Berlin, Germany (1971-1977)
- Teachers: Gerhard Bergmann, Karl Horst Hödicke
- Era: Contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: object art, painting
While his early work is still associated with gestural painting of the “Neue Wilde”, in the 1980s the artist turned to ironic-critical object art. In addition, he created further works for public space in the form of sculptures and happenings.
The German painter and object artist Gerd Rohling was born in Krefeld in 1946. In 1971 he moved to West Berlin and studied here at the Hochschule der Künste in graphic arts with Gerhard Bergmann. He was also in the painting class of Karl Horst Hödicke, with whom he also became a master student.
Gerd Rohling's art is often characterized by a playful and experimental approach. He uses everyday, often discarded materials to create new meanings and contexts. By reconfiguring and reusing these materials, Rohling comments on themes of consumption, waste, and the transience of materials in our modern society.
His paintings, sculptures and installations have been exhibited in many major galleries and museums. He has been the recipient of numerous awards and grants throughout his career. Rohling lives and works today in Berlin.
- 06.07.2022 – 06.08.2022 Drei Farben: BLAU, WEISS, ROT - Walter Storms Galerie, Munich.
- 06.04.2022 – 11.05.2022 Collaborations 1 - Guardini Galerie, Berlin.
- 26.09.2018 – 06.01.2019 Gerd Rohling - The Lead – Museum der bildenden Künste, Leipzig.
- 25.04.2015 – 01.10.2016 Rohlings diorama – Museum Boijmans van Beuningen, Rotterdam.
- 1990 Will-Grohmann Price, Akademie der Künste, Berlin
- 1982 Promotion Prize of the Kunstfonds, Bonn
- 1980 Villa-Romana Price, Florence
- Gerd Rohling. Der Sprung. The Leap., Gerd Rohling, Peter Funken, Jan Nicolaisen, Leipzig 2018.
- Gerd Rohling. Inside - Outside., Gerd Rohling, Carsten Ahrens, Weserburg 2013.
- Gerd Rohling. The wrong note, Gerd Rohling, New Dehli 2005.
- Gerd Rohling. Wasser und Wein, Gerd Rohling, Wittenberg 2003.
- Berlin – Neue Nationalgalerie
- Berlin – Berlinische Galerie
- Berlin - n.b.k. Neuer Berliner Kunstverein
- Leipzig - Museum der bildenden Künste Leipzig
- Bonn - Sammlung zeitgenössischer Kunst der Bundesrepublik Deutschland
- Nuremberg - Neues Museum - Staatliches Museum für Kunst und Design in Nürnberg