Arturo Herrera originally comes from the Venezuelan capital Caracas, studied in Oklahoma and Chicago, and today he lives between New York and Berlin. Arturo Herreras’ artworks, editions and paintings have been honoured with many prizes and awards, including a Guggenheim Fellowship.
- Born: 1959
- Place of birth: Caracas, Venezuela
- Nationality: Latin-american
- Studied at: University of Tulsa, Oklahoma, and University of Illinois at Chicago, Illinois
- Era: Contemporary art
- Stylistic direction: abstract art
Arturo Herrera creates colorful abstract paintings and editions using the strategies of fragmentation and layering inherited from his earlier collage-based works.
|Arturo Herrera||Run No. 3||900 Euro||Original print||29.9 x 21.3 in||yes||no||30.07.2019|
|Arturo Herrera||Bang 1||6900 Euro||Unique/sculpture||18.9 x 11.6 x 13.2 in||limited edition of 15||yes||yes||30.07.2019|
|Arturo Herrera||Bang 6||6900 Euro||Unique/sculpture||18.9 x 11.6 x 13.2 in||limited edition of 15||yes||yes||30.07.2019|
|Arturo Herrera||Bang 10||6900 Euro||Unique/sculpture||18.9 x 11.6 x 13.2 in||limited edition of 15||yes||yes||30.07.2019|
Arturo Herrera was born in 1959 in Caracas, Venezuela. He studied at the University of Tusla and earned his master's degree in fine arts at the University of Illinois at Chicago in 1992. The artist came to Berlin in 2003 at the invitation of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
Herrera has been able to develop a complex and multi-layered oeuvre in recent years, which includes photographs, collages, wood sculptures, as well as works on paper or wall. The Venezuelan artist finds his models in pop-cultural products such as magazines, cartoons, coloring books or through inspiration in topics of art history. In doing so, he takes his motifs to the interface between figuration and abstraction through novel compositions of color and form. This means that in the first step, similar to the earlier Pop Art artists, the artist takes up images of pop culture, but abstracts them painterly to such an extent that a dualism takes place between artistic intervention and the recognizability of these visual source images and signs.
Arturo Herrera's artworks and editions have been shown in many renowned art institutions, such as the Whitney Museum of American Art or the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. Today the artist lives and works in Berlin and New York City.
- 29.06.2019 - 22.09.2019 Dread and Delight Fairy Tales in an Anxious World - Akron Art Museum, Akron.
- 09.09.2018 - 30.06.2019 REMEMBER TO REACT: 60 YEARS OF COLLECTING - NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale.
- 22.03.2018 - 09.06.2018 You are here - Galleri Bo Bjerggaard, Copenhagen.
- 23.09.2018 - 10.03.2019 Arturo Herrera. HOP - Städtische Galerie Wolfsburg.
- 11.09.2017 - 14.01.2018 How to Read El Pato Pascual: Disney’s Latin America and Latin America’s Disney - MAK Center, Los Angeles.
- 14.03.2017 - 23.07.2017 COLOURS. The emotion of art - GAM Galleria Civica d´Arte Moderna e Contemporanea, Turin.
- 01.12.2015 - 12.11.2016 You've Got to Know the Rules ... to Break Them - De La Cruz Collection, Miami.
- 25.01.2015 - 22.02.2015 A Man Walks Into a Bar… Jokes & Postcards - me Collectors Room, Berlin.
- 12.12.2014 - 05.04.2015 Arturo Herrera: Little Bits of Modernism - Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo.
- 03.12.2014 - 17.05.2015 Impulse, Reason, Sense, Conflict - CIFO Art Space, Miami.
- 10.10.2014 - 15.11.2014 ARTURO HERRERA - Sikkema Jenkins & Co, New York.
- 2005: Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship, New York.
- 2004: Grants to Artists Award, Foundation for Contemporary Arts, New York.
- 2003: DAAD Fellowship, Berlin.
- 1998: The Pollock Krasner Foundation Award, New York.
- 1998: ArtPace Fellowship, San Antonio.
- 1997: The Louis Comfort Tiffany Foundation Award, New York.
- 1997: The Marie Walsh Sharpe Art Foundation Award, New York.
- 1996: Visual Arts Fellowship, Illinois Arts Council, Chicago.
- 1995: CAAP Grant, Department of Cultural Affairs, Chicago.
- 1995: SA Grant, Illinois Arts Council, Chicago.
- Arturo Herrera. You are here, exhibition catalog, Galleri Bo Bjerggaard (Publ.), Copenhagen 2018.
- Arturo Herrera. Paintings, exhibition catalog, Sikkema Jenkins & Co (Publ.) New York 2017.
- Arturo Herrera: Day Before, exhibition catalog, Ian Berry & Jordan Kantor, New York 2016.
- Arturo Herrera. Books, exhibition catalog, Corbett vs. Dempsey (Publ.) Chicago 2013.
- Arturo Herrera: series, exhibition catalog, Corbett vs. Dempsey (Publ.), Berlin 2012.
- Arturo Herrera - Home, exhibition catalog, Katja Blomberg (Publ.), Cologne 2010.
- Arturo Herrera - boy and dwarf, exhibition catalog, Sikkema Jenkins & Co (Publ.), Berlin 2007.
- Berlin - Kupferstichkabinett
- London - Tate Modern
- Ottawa - National Gallery of Canada
- Lugano - Lugano Arte e Cultura LAC
- Madrid - Museo Reina Sofia
- Austin - Blanton Museum of Art
- Chicago - Museum of Contemporary Art
- Dallas - Dallas Museum of Art
- Los Angeles - Museum of Contemporary Art
- Miami - del la Cruz Collection
- New York - The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- New York - Museum of Modern Art MoMA
- San Francisco - San Francisco Museum of Modern Art